Skip to content

The Klinsmann – German India Pale Lager

August 7, 2011

One of the great things about beer is how and why so many of the styles came to be what they are today.  I can appreciate quality examples of all styles of beer, but like most people, I tend to enjoy certain styles more at different times of the year.  For some of the same reasons that the styles were originally brewed, we still tend to drink big, malty, high ABV styles during winter months and lighter body styles that are crisp and hoppy throughout the summer.

So when the first heat wave of the summer hit in June and I was out of a seasonal beer, I brewed a Kolsch and tapped it a few weeks later.  Not the most ideal time to brew a kolsch.  I probably would have been better off brewing it in April or May and letting it lager for a month before tapping it.  It’s really not too big of a deal to plan seasonally, but for a quick reference, there’s a useful post at the BeerSmith blog that offers suggestions on when to brew a style so that it can be consumed during the optimal season.

With seasonality in mind, a harvest style IPA seemed like a good beer to brew in the summer for the fall.  And that’s what the recipe started out as – an American IPA.  This style is more bitter and less malty than it’s English cousin and traditionally calls for American ingredients.  However, after brewing the Kolsch and really enjoying the malt profile of the German grains and Noble hops, I thought it would be interesting to use German ingredients and brew it to AIPA guidelines (below).

IBUs: 40-70 SRM: 6-15 OG: 1.056-1.075 FG: 1.010-1.018 ABV: 5.5-7.5

When Klinsmann was named coach a week and a half ago, I planned on naming the beer after him.  Got thinking a little more, and concluded that a German version of the style should really be brewed with lager yeast, so I adjusted the recipe for the only American ingredient, Wyeast 2112 California Lager.  Unfortunately, when my starter hadn’t taken off by the day after brewday and Homesweet Homebrew happened to be closed, I decided to make a quick starter out of the rinsed Wyeast 1007 German Ale that was used in the Kolsch.  Time will tell whether my sanitation practices are quality; clearly, waiting a full 12-16 hours to pitch is an indication that I need to work on some things.

Here’s the specs:

  • Pilsner – 9 lbs
  • Munich  – 2.5 lbs
  • Vienna – 2 lbs
  • Acidulated Malt – .25 lbs
  • Magnum (13.1% AA) – .5 oz – First Wort Hopped
  • Magnum (13.1% AA) – .5 oz – 60 mins
  • Perle (8% AA) – .5 oz – 40 mins
  • Hellertauer (3.5% AA) – 1 oz – 30 mins
  • Hellertauer (3.5% AA) – 1 oz – 15 mins
  • Hellertauer (3.5% AA) – 1 oz – Flameout
  • Saphir (3.5% AA) – 1 oz – Dry hopped
  • Hellertauer (3.5% AA) – 1 oz – Dry hopped
  • Perle (8.0% AA) – .75 oz – Dry hopped
  • Single infusion mash @ 155F
  • Wyeast 1007 @ 62F
  • OG:  1.073
  • SRM:  5.3 SRM
  • IBUs:  67.5

I had the advantage of an extra kettle, which I used as the third tier of my lautering setup.  The HLT made sparging much easier but really didn’t do much for the efficiency.  I’ll have to revisit this.

The picture from above the cooler/mash tun shows the very last of the wort draining into the kettle. The wort was drained directly onto .5 oz of Magnum hops as First Wort Hop (FWH) addition.  The other image shows my indoor setup.  The 10 gallon pot is placed over two burners on high heat.  Even with the exhaust on, the house still smells like microwaved grapenuts.

The wort sat covered in the sink overnight and was chilled down to about 80F.  I fell asleep with the sink faucet running water into the chiller.  Slick move.  Today, I siphoned the wort into a 6.5 gallon carboy and pitched the [semi] starter.  In the picture to the left, you can see the hydrometer (note: need to get a refractometer).  The SG was at 1.066.

This was my first attempt at rinsing yeast and reusing it.  I did my homework, talked to other brewers and read a few sections of Chris White’s Yeast, so hopefully the yeast is healthy.  Actually, I would have pitched the 2112, but when I didn’t see any activity, I assumed that accidentally leaving it in a hot car for an hour had rendered it useless.  According to this post at homebrewtalk.com, that may not be true, so I saved the yeast.

To the right is picture of the 1007 starter that was made with a cup of wort.  I saw activity after two hours and pitched into the carboy about two more hours later.

In order to keep the temperatures close to 60F, the carboy will sit in my cooler/mash tun with a new bottle of frozen water added each day until primary fermentation is complete.

Notes:  8/8/2011 – 7.5 gallons of 1.045 wort collected, boiled for 90 minutes to a little less than 5 gallons of 1.066 wort.  Lost a little bit more volume taking gravity readings and by leaving some of the sediment at the bottom of the pot.  I normally use a whirfloc tablet with 15 minutes left in the boil but am out, so I took extra precautions to clarify the beer.

Advertisements

From → Beer, General

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: